Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rain, butter and card games. In that order.

My perception of days has gotten SO messed up since coming here - the days seem to last 48 hours long, and yet the weeks fly by! (Unless I'm dragging myself to school on a day I don't want to teach - then it seems to last forever) Today was no different.  I sit down to start blogging, think about what I've done that day, and wonder how on earth I crammed so much nonsense into just 24 hours!

Today was an exploration day in the city!! Albeit a rainy and wet one.  Janese and Bailey started their voice lessons today, taught by one of the Lithuanian students at the University here.  Elise and I decided to tag along on the bus, and explore the city streets while Janese and Bailey were in voice lessons. 
Started off the day exploring a little bakery by the bus stop
And succumbed to buying a smallish (yet delicious) pastry
These types of outside couch/chair set ups are everywhere in the city!  Restaurants have umbrellas covering dozens of cozy couch and table set ups.  It especially comes in handy when it's pouring rain, and you can hop under each umbrella whilst walking down the street :)
I had to take this picture, just to allow everyone a giggle - this is the McDonalds in Lithuania. Posh, eh?
The outside of the McDonalds
All the stores on the main street seem to be set up this way - regular shop on the first floor, then balcony's and statues on every other level of the building.  It is beautiful though :)
Statue on the top of the building.  I'm guessing Lithuanian men have issues with dragons. Apparently.
Ryan Reynolds in Vilnius!! Well, a picture of him anyway.

Elise bought a fancy see through umbrella, and enjoyed the day about 34 times more :)



Ivy is EVERYWHERE on the buildings! I love it :)
Elise and I wandered around the city for as long as we could fight off hypothermia, then caught a bus to head back to our apartment before lunch (which was delicious, by the way). 
I thought this was the cutest thing - we are served bread with almost every meal here, and it always has a ridiculous amount of butter layered on top.  To avoid eating that much butter, I usually scrape off most of it, and leave it on the plate.  I guess the cooks noticed, and started leaving a piece of bread for me without any butter on it :) They're so thoughtful!
After lunch, we headed up to the school for teaching! Class was good yesterday - we talked about fish (we're making fishing poles out of kebab sticks, string and paper clips) and we ended up playing Go Fish! The kids were so cute - whenever someone would ask a specific person for a color, another kid would get excited that they had the color asked for, and volunteer their card! Before I knew it, the kids were all helping each other get a match, and would whisper what colors they had so that they knew what to ask for.  I tried to correct them and teach the right way to play, but then gave up and just enjoyed watching them.  I couldn't help but smile at their eagerness to help one another, and the celebration that ensued each time a child got a full set (which was pretty much every turn since everyone volunteered their cards each time :)

Watching these children laugh and help one another, I realized yet another reason I was so led to come to Lithuania at this time - perhaps I came to teach English, but these children can teach me so much more that what I've come to offer. 

3 Nephi 11

35) Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and I bear record of it from the Father; and whoso believeth in me believeth in the Father also; and unto him will the Father bear record of me, for he will visit him with fire and with the Holy Ghost.
36)  And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father and I, and the Holy Ghost are one. 
37) And again, I say unto you, ye must repent and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.  

http://mormon.org/book-of-mormon/

1 comment:

  1. You are such a wonder! xoxoxo ps - I tried to talk you into taking a coat! pss - Jaylee wants for me to tell you that she loves you!

    ReplyDelete