Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sunshine and cold showers

Glorious news of the day - Spring time is working hard, and Vilnius got up to 81 degrees F today!! So much sunshine, and warm breeze blowing in.  Actually, right now, I'm sitting in our secret closet with all the windows thrown open and enjoying the breeze whilst I type this :)  So happy!!

Not so glorious news of the day - our hot water has been turned off!  Luckily, Lithuania is not one of the countries that turns it's hot water off in the summer time (which Russia does do, by the way), so it was probably just a maintenance thing.  Reasons aside, I was pretty surprised to discover that little tidbit of joy this morning.

In efforts to convince myself the whole ordeal was worth it, I began to research the benefits of such a torturous thing, and struck gold!  I found a chapter titled "The James Bond Shower: A Shot of Cold Water for Health and Vitality" from the gloriously hilarious book, "The Art of Manliness" (which really is great by the way.  I bought a copy my Freshman year at BYU) HERE

"As a kid, I was a big James Bond fan. Saw all the movies and read all the books. One thing I noticed about the book version of James Bond was that every time he took a shower, he would start off with the water nice and hot, and then turn it down to cold for the last few minutes. Perhaps this little detail of Bond’s personal bathing regimen was a subtle way for Ian Flemming to illustrate Bond’s Scottish ancestry, as this type of shower is commonly known as a “Scottish Shower.” Who knows.  Being an impressionable kid, I started doing it too. I didn’t know the proper name for this type of shower, so I just called it the “James Bond Shower.”

He then continues to explain how showering/bathing in cold water is a historical and medical experience, one that the Spartans, Scottish, Finish, Germans, Russians,and Japanese all used.  Ranging from tubs you'd stick just your bum in to full on ice swimming, it was used for everything from cleaning the spirit to healing broken bones (which probably got broken in the first place when they tried to dunk someone in an ice hole for spiritual cleansing).  However, he also promises cold showers will improve circulation, relieve depression, reboot your luscious locks o'hair, strengthen immunity and increase fertility! 

Maybe I should be thanking the Lithuanian water system after all - if this become frequent, I'll return home as a healthy, happy, fertile woman with hair of steel! :)


2 comments:

  1. you might not be that fertile because you keep freezing your ovaries on the ground

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total el oh el at both this post and Janese's comment. So awesome. I didn't know these type of showers had a name... That's just what would happen sometimes on Sunday mornings in our apartment ;)

    ReplyDelete