Sunday, July 15, 2012

I'll go where You want me to go.

Sometimes, I don't even realize how much I need the Sabbath. Then I get to church, discover the talks and songs are perfectly tailored to me, and find myself being uplifted without every noticing I had gotten weighed down. Today was one of those days :)

For starters, I got to church to discover that all our Elder's had stayed! In an LDS mission, an Elder or Sister is assigned to an area for 6 weeks, and then they possibly transfer to a different area within the mission. (for more info on LDS missions, click HERE) For this transfer, all our Elders stayed here! I was super excited to see them all on Sunday, and was happy my American friends were able to stick around :)  Only sad thing is, Elder Rich completed his 2 year mission and was released last week to go back home to Idaho.  He served his mission well, and I'll miss him translating for us.

After church started, the Branch President got up to announce the remainder of the meeting, and announced that the choir (aka - us ILP girls and the missionaries) would be singing a song.  Surprise! :) We got up and sang the Hymn "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go", albeit in Lithuanian.  As I stood in front of the room, next to the Elder missionaries singing this song, I noticed one of the elder woman in the congregation quietly singing along and crying as she watched us. It was then that I really noticed what I was doing - standing in the chapel of a church in Lithuania, alongside the faithful Elders and fellow ILP teachers, all of whom gave up so much money and time to follow the Lord's promptings and serve in Lithuania, these words suddenly made sense.

It may not be on the mountain height, or over the stormy sea.
It may not be at the battle's front,
My God will have need of me. 
But if by a  still, small voice He calls, 
To paths I do not know,
I'll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I'll go where you want me to go.

Perhaps today, there are loving words, 
Which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now in the paths of sin,
I wanderer whom I should seek.
O, Savior if thou wilt be my guide,
Tho dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet:
I'll say what you want me to say.

There's surely somewhere a lowly place, 
In earth's harvest fields so wide
Where I may labor through life's short day,
For Jesus the Crucified.
So, trusting my all to thy tender care,
And knowing thou lovest me,
I'll do thy will with a heart sincere:
I'll be what you want me to be.


I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord, 
Over mountain or plain or sea;
I'll say what you want me to say, dear Lord;
I'll be what you want me to be.


It was at that moment of standing in front of a Lithuanian congregation, hundreds of miles from home, and surrounded by the missionaries and ILP volunteers, that I understood what it meant to go "where He wants me to go".  As I sang the words in Lithuania, I found myself thinking the English translation, and bearing my personal testimony of these words as I sang:

So, trusting y all to thy tender care,
And knowing thou lovest me,
I'll do thy will with a heart sincere:
I'll be what you want me to be.  

It was a great day at church :) After church however, was a much more adventurous story.  We invited Charles over for dinner, Bailey  made some amazing stir fry, and we played Bananagrams to our hearts content. Love that game. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that I have been there with you - and feel, at times, that I am STILL with you! I could picture this beautiful scene in my mind and it made me smile. I love you so!

    ReplyDelete